Monday, March 7, 2011

Buddhist Stereotypes

 

This is an image of Buddhist monks meditating.  I think that Western culture believes that all Buddhists do is practice meditation for hours after hours and nothing else.  They don't eat the same way the rest of the world does, nor do they sleep or behave the same way as everybody else.  Also, I feel that people view meditation as just sitting in silence with your eyes closed when in fact, it is much more complex.  The goal of Buddhist meditation is to explore other phenomena using your mind.  It teaches you about mindfulness and how to gain insight, rather than concern yourself with worldly matters.  I believe there's even a stereotype that all Buddhist monks are vegetarians.  This is not true, because from what I've read, about half of all Buddhists are vegetarian or vegan and the other half eats meat.  Also, though I don't have any proof of this, I am pretty sure that not all Buddhists are boring and don't know how to have fun.  People believe that they just sit there and meditate all day long, but  I think that they do try to enjoy life as much as they can, but they make sure to not get attached.

In Brad Warner's Zen Wrapped in Karma Dipped in Chocolate, he writes:

"When I say that Buddhism worked, I don't mean that it was a magic solution to my problems.  Nor do I mean that any miracles happened or that I was able to erase all doubt and fear from my mind through some kind of special power.  What I mean is that Buddhism, especially Dogen's Buddhism, provided the most truly realistic and practical way of dealing with life.  It isn't spirituality, but it isn't materialism either.  It bridges the gap between these two forever mutually opposing ways of understanding reality.  It negates both spirituality and materialism yet simultaneously embraces them (5)."

From this statement, I feel that Warner is saying that because he follows Buddhism doesn't mean that all the issues in his life were fixed and he was happy 24/7.  It didn't make his life perfect and free from everyday problems everyone deals with either.  It did, however, help him choose a better way of living his life and understanding it.  Buddhism helped him maintain a better state of mind.  He wasn't obsessed with spirituality, but he wasn't obsessed with all of the worldly and materialistic affairs of this world.  He was somewhere in between.  Choosing Buddhism, or any other religion, won't make your life perfect, but it will help you see life in a new way and may make it a bit easier for you.  Warner's view goes to further prove that Buddhism is not all about living life how you assume the monks do--through vegetarianism, meditating for long hours, and living a strict life.  Instead, to him it means finding a balance between living life as a Buddhist and living life in the practical world.  In the real world, you have to have money, transportation, clothes, food (which can all be considered materialistic), so it is important to live moderately, by not obsessing over the fanciest cars or the designer clothes.  By finding this balance, one can better gain insight and become more aware of themselves, others, and the natural world (which is something we lose when we concern ourselves with materialistic objects.


6 comments:

  1. I agree with you , that common stereotype associated with Buddhist practitioners is that they meditate. This part is true they do meditate daily, but also like you said some people think that they are simpling just sitting there and humming. Also, that Buddhist meditate all day long , I agree is a common stereotype. Like you said I'm sure there are Buddhist who know how to have fun , given that Orlando Bloom, Steve Jobs(apple owner) and Tina Turner to name a few celebrities are Buddhist , and I'm sure they know how to have fun within the means of their religious beliefs. I think theses common misconceptions come from the lack of knowledge that others have for religions outside of their own, and also how they are portrayed in American television. This ties into what Warner was saying about the practice of zazen.The fact that it doesn't matter what you think , how you feel or if you hate it or love it (28).Sitting on your cushion and doing zazen is a form of enlightenment. Gradually a kind of deeper intuitive knowledge starts to form, and a some point you reach a threshold which everything seems to change. I didn't know that about meditation before reading this book, and I'm sure there are many others who don't know what meditation is for especially if it is not a part of their own religion.I found it easier to understand by comparing it to daily things done in my own religion, that from the outside may seem like it's done all day, when actually its not. Maybe if American television who portray more and give more knowledge to those who watch T.V. instead of just stereotypes, more people will be educated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a very good point. I'm shocked over the amount of stereotypes out there related to Buddhism. Being a Buddhist doesn't mean you must meditate all day long, just like being a Christian doesn't mean that you must go to church everyday or every Sunday for that matter. It's just shocking that these stereotypes don't exist in Christianity but are very prevelant in the Buddhist community. It shows me that Americans are very judgemental when it comes to ideas that are out of the norm for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i liked your insight on the main reason behind meditation. most monks do enjoy themselves. their life is not all boring with just meditation. it is also true that Buddhism does maintain a better state of mind. I think that to them that is their happiness. i agree with you last statement. A balance in life makes things easier to accomplish

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could not agree more with the stereotype that you picked. I also think that one of the biggest stereotypes is that Buddhists do nothing but meditate for hours on end. Although they do meditate quite a lot, they do carry on normal lives and are active members of society. I think that the main issue is that Americans are lazy and will believe anything they hear without looking into it and doing a little research. If research were to be done, it would be clear that the always meditating monk is not at all realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe you made a good point, highlighting the fact that Brad Warner is a good example of breaking the Buddhist monk stereotypes. Warner is very different from what we assume a Buddhist would be. In his book he discusses his sex life, his trial with intoxicants, and he uses language that isn't considered very "wise". By reading Warner's book, I believe it really opens our (the audience's) eyes to see that Buddhist don't spend their entire lives praying and meditating and can actually live close to a typical "American lifestyle".

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really think you did a great job with your blog. I like how you did not just address just one stereotype but you address different ones such as the meditating, being vegetarians, and that they are boring. I admit that I use to believe that all they did was meditate all day until I started taking this class and doing some more research. I like how you decided to incorporate why brad chose this religion in your blog. When you read his story and his views about this religion my thoughts about Buddhist change. I use to think they were just praying to this little chubby man but instead some people practice this religion to find balance and clarity in their life.

    ReplyDelete